Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Don't Let Your Brain Stop Learning

Summer School Fun - The Learning Continues
Summer usually means vacations, no homework, relaxation, and pool time.  But some students took on a challenge and engaged their brains this summer. Students across the district continued their quest for knowledge in one of our summer school programs.  I had the pleasure to visit several programs and activities that showcased the student's achievement.  

Students in the SAGE and Exploration Academy Programs auctioned
off their work to help raise money for the Educational Foundation.
Learning the Language Summer Program at Carrollton Elementary

View more photos from our Summer School programs here.

Don't Let Your Brain Stop Learning
Even though school is out for the summer, I encourage all of us to keep our minds engaged.  One great way to do that is to read.  I have been reading several books this summer. One of the best that I am reading is called Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey, MD. In the section called "The Mind-Body Connection," he writes "It's about growth versus decay, activity versus inactivity. The body was designed to be pushed, and in pushing our bodies we push our brains too."  Well, this summer, let's push our brains and our bodies.  We need to make the time to exercise our bodies through fun summer activities like swimming, golfing, running and walking, but we also need to push our brains to learn more through reading. 

Over the next several weeks, I will share some of what I am reading and learning in this blog and on Facebook and Twitter.  I encourage our students, parents, and community members to share with me what books you are reading. Send me an email to cfbinfo@cfbisd.edu or post it on Facebook or Twitter.  I will share some of the books you are reading also.  So get started reading. 

No comments: