Friday, March 22, 2013

Stay Focused: Our Students' Perspectives

Watch Focus Points


I hope you had a wonderful Spring Break filled with lots of … exercise!

As spring begins this week, we are heading into a very busy time of year. There are lots of activities happening – sports, concerts, spring shows, meetings, try-outs, tournaments, exams, and eventually graduation for our seniors. During all the hustle and bustle of the spring semester, I don’t want you to lose sight of our goal – high achievement for all students.

This message is for our students. Parents and community members – you aren't off the hook. We can all learn from this topic.

I want to share two words with you – “Stay Focused.” What is focus? The dictionary defines focus as “adapt to the prevailing level of light and become able to see clearly.”

I want you to see the goal clearly – high achievement. What does that mean to you? How do you stay focused on a goal? I asked that question to a few students and here is what they said.

“I want to be a veterinarian. I stay focused on my goal when I put my mind on it and picture myself there as a veterinarian.” – Victoria, Central 5th grader

“Focus is the way you concentrate on a goal you have set. If I want to stay focused and accomplish my goal I zone everything out. I don't listen to anything else until I solve it.” – Luke, Furneaux 5th grader 



“Focus is to pay attention and work harder and harder until you accomplish your goal.” – Chloe, McKamy 5th grader

“When I think of focus, I think of the metaphorical definition. While the dictionary talks about seeing clearly in different levels of light, I think of focus as ignoring all distractions and concentrating completely on a task. When I try to stay focused on a goal, I go to an area with as little distractions as possible to work. I also think about how much better I’ll feel when I finish. This helps me concentrate more because I will have more reasons to accomplish the goal.” – Graham, Perry 6th grader



“I personally stay focused on a goal by keeping it as the first thing on my mind. That helps me by constantly reminding me that I even have a goal.” – Tyrese, Long 8th grader

"Focus in my dictionary means to think about the subject and get the clear understanding to the lesson is teaching you. I stay focused by being determined to achieve my goals and be the best at anything I do, so just working hard and understanding everything will help achieve your goals." - Brian, Bush 8th grader

“I stay focused by setting up a reward system for when I accomplish something on the way to my goal.” – Ronnie, Long 8th grader
“Don’t just let something block your path. If you focus on the goal by remembering why you wanted it in the first place, nothing can stop you.” – Kasandra, Turner 10th grader

How are you going to stay focused on your goal? Let’s follow the advice of our own students and stay focused until we accomplish our goal – high achievement. Let’s finish this year strong.

In this edition of Focus Points, I have included a few posts about students in C-FB who are excelling. We have several state champions this year. Congratulations to the students and their teachers.

No comments: